Campsite #17 – Little Bottoms
Little Bottoms Trail – Campsite #17 is 0.7 miles from the intersection with Hatcher Mountain Trail and 1.6 miles from from the Cooper Road Trail.
Water: Available from Abrams Creek nearby.
Campsite #17 is a treasure of a campsite. It is located on idyllic Abrams Creek not far from Abrams Creek Campground. Little Bottoms trail is a pleasant hike from either direction although there is a bit of a ridge climb out of the Cooper Road Trail. But all efforts are rewarded with this campsite as a destination. The site is large, flat and well drained. There is ample tree cover from new growth trees. The site is a former homesite with the remains of a stone fence along one end. There is not much dead and down wood but there is sufficient ground cover. There are at least 4 fire rings and corresponding bear cables. The site is well off the trail. The Park Service website indicates the capacity of the site is 12 but clearly, there is much more than that that. This is perhaps among the best sites in the Park.
- Ready access to water
- Bear cables – generally a given but some site may not have them
- Low Impact – little evidence of overuse such as sparse vegetation and general appearance
- Leave No Trace – includes general layout and spacing of sites relative to the trail
- Dry or properly draining tent sites
- Level tent sites
- Inspirational location – such as an overlook or river
- X-Factor – that certain je ne sais quoi